Throughout her life, Cathie has done just about everything with fabric, including dressmaking, knitting with fabric, quilting, and quilted wearable art. She earned a B.S. degree in Home Economics from Chico State College in Chico, CA. She studied tailoring, pattern drafting, and added a year of weaving to her knowledge of textiles.
Her specialties are:
- All types of machine applique, including fused and non-fused either finished with satin stitching, blanket stitching, or soft-edge treatment.
- Reverse appliqué by machine finished with blanket stitch or decorative stitch. My special method is refined and one that I find more useful than any other appliqué method.
- Machine embellishments with decorative stitches, laces, braids, and especially rickrack.
- The use of brilliant color and color combinations in all quiltmaking techniques.
- Combining printed fabrics of all types and styles with each other while keeping the identity of each fabric visible and vibrant.
She was selected to be a Fairfield Fashion Show Designer four times (1993, 1994, 1995 1998) and a Bernina Fashion Show Designer five times (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008). Although she is thoroughly enraptured with quilting, quilted wearable art remains a passion.
Since 1988, she has taught quilting workshops and given lectures at large and small quilting venues throughout California and much of the United States, including Hawaii.
November 2022: Edyta Sitar
For the complete list of "Speakers and Workshops" click on the tab at the left.
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
33501 Stonehill Dr.
Dana Point, CA 92629
For workshop information and to sign-up, contact:Workshop Chair:
- Mary Arter